When a potential buyer appears in your showroom, you obviously hope to seal the deal and close a sale ASAP—but of course, it doesn’t always happen that way. More often than not, the buyer will leave your dealership claiming they are going to think it over, or perhaps compare inventory at other dealerships.
This does not mean you lost the sale, but it does mean you need to conduct some follow-up calls! Here’s some advice from the automotive sales experts at Get My Auto.
Remember that the folks who leave your dealership without buying are probably out looking at other dealerships—so time is of the essence! We generally recommend a follow-up call on the same day, unless the buyer was in your showroom late in the day, in which case you can wait until tomorrow.
As you conduct same-day unsold follow-up calls, keep these tips in mind:
- Always give a polite thank-you for their visit.
- Ask if they are still looking, or if their plans have changed.
- If they say they are still looking, ask if they have any new questions about the vehicle you showed them.
- Ask for feedback on their experience, and for advice on how you can make things even better for next time.
- Reiterate that you are there to help, and invite the buyer to reach out at any time.
If you are unable to contact the customer on the same day—perhaps because you see them right before you close—make sure to follow-up within a 24-hour period. This is a great way to show them that you care and are willing to hustle for their business!
You can use some of the same tips we mentioned above. Also note:
- Ask if they have any other makes/models they are considering, or whether you can show them some alternatives.
- Make known any additional incentives you can offer them.
You can continue to follow-up until the person either buys or expressly asks you to knock it off. Just keep these tips in mind:
- Always have a fresh, specific reason to call.
- Always ask for a status update—did they buy? Are they still thinking it over?
- Ask point-blank what you can do to earn their business.
- Remember to be polite and to thank them for their time.
Follow-Up is What Closes Sales
Many a vehicle sale is closed on follow-up calls—so if your buyer doesn’t buy something right away, that’s no reason to panic. Stick with it, and use these follow-up tips to stay in the game. To learn more about used auto sales tips and techniques, reach out to Get My Auto today!