It’s never been more urgent for used car dealerships to have prominent Google search rankings. Today’s buyers consult the Web to make informed decisions about their used car purchases—including not just which car to buy, but which dealer to buy it from.
Search ranking success depends on a strong, adaptive SEO effort—and that’s something that changes all the time. If you feel like you’re lost in algorithmic flux, don’t worry: Get My Auto’s dealership marketing experts have put together a quick 2019 SEO rankings checklist.
We have divided it into two basic categories—on-site and off-site SEO factors.
On-Site SEO Factors
We’ll start with the things you can do on your dealership website to help improve its SERP viability.
- Natural-language keyword use throughout the site
- URL structures that are clean, clear, and keyword-rich
- Dealership contact information, including local phone number, on every page of the site
- Call-to-action on every page of the site
- Meta descriptions and title tags that include keywords (and, when possible, calls-to-action)
- Compelling, value-adding content, written with the end user in mind
- Internal linking and streamlined site architecture
- No broken links
Fast loading time—ideally three seconds or less on all platforms and device types
- Regular content updates—e.g., blogging
- Keywords in image names and ALTs
- Responsive/mobile-friendly website design
- Social proof—including review links, testimonials, etc.
- Video content (when possible)
Off-Site SEO Factors
In addition to these on-site factors, there are also some external sources of SEO traction, all of which can be valuable to your dealership in its pursuit of improved Google visibility.
- A Google My Business page with complete, accurate, and up-to-date information
- Positive consumer reviews on Google, as well as other sites, such as Facebook
- Social sharing/activity on key platforms
- Citations in local directories
- Citations and backlinks from local press and publications
- NAP (name, address, phone number) information posted consistently on all social media platforms, directory listings, etc.
- Backlinks from relevant blogs or trade publications
Some of these factors are a little tougher to come by, but all are worth seeking as you ensure your website is as highly visible as possible.
Where to Begin with Dealership SEO?
Clearly, there are a lot of different factors to consider, and you may feel a little overwhelmed by this exhaustive checklist. The good news is, we can offer a clear starting point: Use the Get My Auto website creation tool to ensure a site that’s made with SEO in mind.
We’d love to tell you more about it, and to share our unparalleled expertise in dealership SEO. Reach out to Get My Auto and let’s chat!